Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Red Sox To Scout Cuban Phenom Yoenis Cespedes

It has been announced that new GM Ben Cherington will be shipping down to the Dominican Republic to watch Cuban defector Yoenis Cespedes. Cespedes is expected to be a hot commodity for many this winter. However, he really makes sense for the Red Sox. He is a right-handed right fielder who hits for power and has good speed. Last season in Cuba, he had a remarkable season, hitting .333 with 33 home runs in only 99 games. Since he has not played in MLB or Japan, I don't have too many stats on him right now-- however, pretty much every site I've seen says he is a 5-tool player and I assume I'll believe them. However, as I said earlier, he is a hot commodity for many teams across the board, and as usual when there's a good player involved, the Yankees are one of them. The highest contract ever for a Cuban defector was Aroldis Chapman in the 2009 offseason, and that was for 6 years/$30.25 million. Cespedes is expected to get that, and possibly more. I think if the Sox don't overpay for him, this would be a great move for Ben Cherington.

No comments:

Post a Comment