Friday, September 30, 2011

Changing Of The Guard- Episode One

I have never watched a Red Sox game where Terry Francona was not managing. The first one will be April 6, 2012. The Red Sox declined Francona's 2 year, $4.5 million option after managing for 8 years at the helm of the Red Sox. In that time, he had 2 World Championships, a .574 regular season winning percentage, and a 1.000 World Series winning percentage. "I've always maintained that it is not only the right, but the obligation, of the ownership to have the right person doing the job. I told them that out of my enormous respect for the organization and the people in it, they may need a different voice for the team," said Francona in a press conference. General Manager Theo Epstein defended Francona, saying, "This year was certainly a difficult and draining one for him and us. Ultimately, he decided that there were certain things that needed to be done that he couldn't do after eight years here, and that the team would benefit from a new voice." I agree that the clubhouse does need some more personality and chemistry, but I don't necessarily agree with the decision. I can't help thinking that whoever replaces Tito may be a step down.

1 comment:

  1. Cann't believe the collapse Sox had! I also believe it will be hard to find a replacement for Tito.. He brought 2 World Championships to Boston and has to be the Best Manager they have had due to that.

    ReplyDelete