Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Red Sox Re-Sign Minor Leaguer Tony Pena Jr.

I am a bit frustrated by the Red Sox moves this offseason, or lack thereof, so I've begun to just report every little detail I get. So, here's the next little detail-- the Red Sox have re-signed Tony Pena Jr. Pena pitched for the AAA Pawtucket Red Sox the whole year in 2011 in his 2nd full year of pitching after being a shortstop for his previous career. He was actually quite effective, going 9-6/3.56/65 in 33 games, 14 of which were starts. Pena is a guy who I'm surprised the Red Sox didn't call up during the September '11 collapse. I think he's a guy who probably could have started a few games here and there instead of Tim Wakefield, John Lackey, and Kyle Weiland. The Red Sox signed him to a minor league deal with an invite to Spring Training which includes an additional $650,000 if he makes the major league team out of Spring Training. I'm all for Pena sticking around and possibly making an impact in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment