Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Epstein Very Close To Joining Cubs

Even if you are a casual Red Sox fan, you have likely heard the swirling rumors of Theo Epstein's potential departure to Chicago. Today, it has become more realistic and it appears that Epstein is on the verge of joining the Cubs. A press release will likely come within the next 48 hours, and probably less. While one could argue that many big-market GM's make a lot of mistakes, it appears to me that Epstein has made too many- especially recently. Think Carl Crawford, John Lackey, J.D. Drew, Julio Lugo, Mike Cameron, Brad Penny, and John Smoltz (Rule out the last 2, as they were low-risk high-reward moves before 2009). It makes me wonder if his assistant and likely replacement Ben Cherington could do a better job. During Epstein's brief departure after 2005, Cherington pulled off the move that sent Hanley Ramirez and Anibal Sanchez to the Marlins in return for Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell- a move that positively affected both teams. I find it ridiculous that I find optimism in everything (even this), but I do see a silver lining to this. Just call me a positive Red Sox fan- oxymoron, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment