Thursday, September 15, 2011

Tim Wakefield- A Red Sox Icon Through Thick And Thin

It seems to me like Tim Wakefield has always been there, and always will be. He sat in the dugout and watched a 5-4 win over the Philadelphia Phillies on the day I was born. A few nights ago, Tim Wakefield had a tremendous experience in winning his 200th ballgame in a 18-6 win over the Toronto Blue Jays. I've seen tons of games he's pitched in, and he's spent the longest time on the Red Sox of anybody on their active roster. The only other player to even come close is Jason Varitek. However, out of all those games, the one I remember best happened on April 15, 2009. A select few of you may have been reading this blog then and read my post on it- http://conor-soxrox.blogspot.com/2009/04/tough-series.html. That was my 10th post ever on Sox.Rox. I had gone to Australia earlier that year and had missed the first week of the season. After that, they went onto a West Coast trip, and I missed the late games. This game was a day game, and I don't remember but it may have been the first game I had watched that year. I watched, from beginning to end, as Timmy tore up the A's, allowing 2 runs and 4 hits in a complete game victory in an 8-2 win. He had a down year last year, and has not been his old self this year at 7-6/5.13/84. However, if you look at his career statistics of 200-178/4.41/2147, you can see how valuable he has been to the Red Sox. I'd just like to congratulate this man on a great career, and keep up the good work.

1 comment:

  1. Tim Wakefield is an icon. That's all there is to it.

    ReplyDelete