Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Captain Returns Again!

Today, the Red Sox settled a deal with Jason Varitek so that he is going to return by signing a 1 year, $2 million contract. In 2010, Varitek went .232/7/16, hitting 7 home runs in the first two months as a backup but doing pretty badly from then out. He broke his right foot in June which hampered his performance for the rest of the season. I think at this point in his career, Jason Varitek is a better backup than a starter, and I think the Red Sox should go for Rod Barajas or somebody like that. However, I think he is probably a better option than Jarrod Saltalamacchia if Saltalamacchia continues the way he's been playing the last couple of years. I'm glad the Sox resigned Varitek, don't get me wrong, but they need a better catcher to complement him.

No comments:

Post a Comment